Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Lot Can Change in a Month

That is the understatement of the century! One month ago right about now Becky and I were searching outside the BOK Center trying to find a ticket for me to the NKOTBSB concert. Who knew how that silly little show would change my life!

Okay it might sound crazy to say that a concert changed my life (though I'm not quite certain I'm playing with a full deck these days!). In the days that followed the concert I was sad because I felt like a piece of my childhood was slipping away and I might never see them again. That Thursday we devised a plan to drive to Orlando (only 20 hours) to see them (really wish we'd pulled that one off). Well it didn't happen. However, something changed that night and I started to go off the deep end. We had started following "the boys" on Twitter that week (I know I'm a crappy fan) and they all radiate positivity, which was something my life desperately needed. From the positivity came a lot of changes in my life and in my attitude and in just about everything.

The next week I took off a few days because we were going to try to make the concert in Indy (yeah that didn't happen either). I think I thought that I had this big birthday coming up and I just HAD to get one last adventure in before I turned 30.

To say that I became a Twitter addict (more than before) after all of this is an understatement. What I realized is that so much was happening in NYC and I wanted to be a part of it (not the first time in my life I've felt this way). There was this show going on here and that video premier going on there. I just kept wanting to be in NYC more than I wanted to be where I was. I've had the tendency to use NYC as a place to run away to, which I'm still concerned about, but I don't think that's it.

The night before I turned 30 I started evaluating all the things that I did and didn't do in my twenties and NYC was the one that just kept sticking out. I am amazed at how much support I am getting on this little adventure I'm planning (either they really want me to follow my dreams, they want a couch to crash on, or they want to get rid of me!).

As far as other ways the last month has changed. I am on day 27 of a new fitness regimen that involves me working out before work (CRAZY, I used to get up about 10 minutes before work: 5 to get dressed 5 to drive to work), counting calories (not a first) and working out before bed, and the crazy part: enjoying it. Whether I pull of NYC or not this seems to be sticking and I'm hoping to attain some goals by the time I graduate in May.

Some other highlights of the month: I totally changed what I am going to do for my Masters internship and feel a lot better about it, I started looking at apartments and jobs in NYC and think I might be able to pull this off, and I put in my candidacy forms for graduation this week. I also had a major car issue the day after all this positive thinking, healthy lifestyle started and I managed to keep 100% focused and got my car fixed without having to rely on my parents at all. Another major thing that has changed: my biological clock has stopped. I spent most, if not all, of my twenties ready to get married so I could have a baby. Yeah, not so much any more. Those are still things I want, but I want them later. I have this amazing opportunity to chase a dream I've had almost as long as I can remember and I don't want anything to get in the way of that.

Things seem to be going in the exact right direction. My mind is clearer than it has been in a long time. I feel like I am doing the right thing and I am happy about it (terrified to tell a couple of people though!). I am really happy with exactly where I am in my life and I'm not wanting what others have. I feel like I'm the lucky one that gets to go after her dreams while a lot of friends are stuck at home with husbands and kids. I have always known this was going to be a good year and it is shaping up as just that!

No comments:

Post a Comment